Many of us do well with packing the right clothing for a vacation but struggle with what shoes to pack. Whittling down your favourites to just a few pairs can be tough, so we’re sharing a favourite travel tip: the '3 shoe rule.'
Yes, you guessed it – the '3 shoe rule' is only pack THREE pairs of shoes. For a summer vacation, this typically means a pair of sneakers and two pairs of sandals – one dressy and one casual. It’s simple really. You may want to swap a pair of sandals for a ballet flat or swap the sneakers for hiking sandals, but try to stick to just three pairs that will work for the activities you’re planning.
Chances are you’ll be doing more walking and sightseeing on holiday, so there should be more emphasis on shoes that are comfortable, lightweight, durable and versatile. With this in mind, we’ve taken the 3-shoe rule and put together our own trios for typical summer vacations to show how it works.
1. Casual sandal It’s hard to beat a pair of flat espadrilles for a go-everywhere, do-everything shoe. They can cope with a day’s sightseeing, a trip to the beach and a casual dinner. Gaimo's tan Jasmine espadrilles go with skirts, dresses, pants and shorts, making them an all round winner.
2. Sneaker Always pick a versatile sneaker that looks gorgeous but can also be used for light running and gym activities. L’Ecologica's sparkly zip-on sneakers are a great lightweight option and can also be dressed up with silver jewellery.
3. Dressy sandal For evening, choose a block or wedge heel that goes with absolutely everything. Sitting under the restaurant table, only you will know you are wearing the same sandals! These Gaimo jute heels with a dash of glitz look casual yet classy with flowing pants, dresses and natural linen clothing.
Footwear for a beach getaway should be a more casual fun version of what you’d take for a resort holiday.
3. Dressy sandal Slipon a pair of designer slides to polish off your evening look. These Estilo Emporio Silky Slides look effortlessly elegant with an evening dress once the sun goes down.
A wardrobe for a weekend in the city should always include versatile classics and comfortable sneakers.
1. Casual sandal Swap in a classic balllet flat - these pair perfectly with any urban outfit and suit any weather. Arche's chic ballet flats feature a latex sole and perforated upper, making them super-comfortable summer walking shoes for seeing the city sights in style.
2. Sneaker These white John Softy P448s will take you all the way from your morning walk through to dinner.
3. Dressy sandal Sempre Di’s low block sandal with its snake foot bed and square toe is a stylish option for dressier dinners or the theatre. It will easily coordinate with almost any colour outfit.
Following the '3 shoe rule' will help to keep your suitcase light and your feet happy. It should work for most typical sightseeing holidays. The only time you might want to relent is to throw in a pair of thongs for around the pool or hotel. Just make sure you wear in your shoes before taking them away. There’s nothing worse than sore feet on holiday!
Have a trip coming up that would challenge the 3 shoe rule? Come in to Booty Shoes Potts Point and we’ll see how we can help. Gorgeous new summer styles have just arrived and there’s lots of amazing reductions instore now.
Shop in store or online with free delivery within Australia over $100.